Ok, for real this time: Crappy Player Pick ‘Em
1) Players must have a career point average of less than 45 points per season.
2) Player must be a forward that’s 27 or older. As Mirtle points out, if you’re still getting 30-40 points at that age, you’re a lifelong plugger.
3) Player has to be making $2 million or less (this is updated from $1.5 million — I checked and there’s a lot of crappy players making $1.9, so I opened it up to some flexibility). To check, go to NHL Numbers.
4) We’ll be judging total points (goals + assists). Tiebreakers will be goals.
5) Make your pick by leaving a comment in this post. Players are picked on a first-come, first-serve basis, so if someone snags Radek Bonk
As an example, last season’s players included such superstars as Todd Marchant, Wayne Primeau, Chad Kilger, and Dan Hinote. Remeber, this pool’s really more about making a stupid pick and laughing at each other rather than serious competition, so my suggestion is to go with a crappy player you’ve got a soft spot for. Why do I get the feeling that Alanah and Golbez will have a drinking contest to take Matt Cooke?
I’m throwing the gauntlet down by making the first pick with perreniel underachiever and three-time Tampa Bay Lightning not-so-superstar Chris Gratton with a $1.5 million salary and a career points average of 44.3. Take that, last year’s champion Boltsmag!
Oh, and I’m still looking for any advice on web widgets that might be able to grab automatically individual player statistics for the leaderboard. Leave a comment if you know of any.
Update: Just to clear it up, this is open to anyone, not just bloggers.
Update 2: More clarification — calculate your player’s average points by taking career points, divide by total games played, then multiply by 82 games per season. In mathematical terms:
Points per season = (career points/total games played) x 82 games per season
That eliminates any skewing due to injury.
Update 3: The list so far…
Mike (me!): Chris Gratton
Kyle: Ian Laperriere
Danny (Battle of Pennsylvania): Pascal Dupuis
Andrew: Radek Bonk
Mike (Shaved Ice): Yanic Perreault
James Mirtle: Eric Belanger
Rob (RotoRob): Chris Clark
Jes Golbez: Andrew Brunette
Ron: Bryan Smolinski
Gary: Aaron Asham
RudyKelly (Battle of California): Derek Armstrong
Filed under: Crappy Player Pick 'Em | 32 Comments